This is a roundup for product news and announcements for travel DEVICES in tourism and hospitality for August 2016.
Tuesday 30 August 2016:
Plug And Play signs Panasonic in-flight deal
- The startup accelerator will work with the Panasonic Avionics Corporation to help select new businesses looking to enter the travel, tourism and hospitality sector. Around 20 to 30 startups will enter the three-month programme during 2016, giving them mentoring services and access to airlines, hotels, GDSs and OTAs.
accepts Android Pay
Tuesday 23 August 2016:
- Travellers will be able to pay for products on the CheapOAir platform using their mobile device and the Android Pay service. Other payment systems available on CheapOAir include PayPal and Apple Pay.
GoIbibo introduces GoCars
Wednesday 17 August 2016:
- The India-based travel service has launched the standalone mobile app so that users can share car journeys with other travellers. The system allows users to pay for a seat (rather than the entire vehicle), check the credentials of the driver and arrange nearby pick-up and drop-off points.
Gogo will offer in-flight wifi passes to Sabre travel agents
debuts an app for Apple TV
Thursday 11 August 2016:
- The CheapOair Explore app lets users search for destinations that match their preferred travel dates and budget. Customers can save itineraries and then book them via the company's website or mobile apps.
Yatra launches Mini app
- Indian OTA Yatra.com has launched Yatra Mini, an app for Android phones which targets value seeking travellers outside the main Indian cities with bus, train and budget hotel bookings. It only needs 4.5mb of space and has been built to work in poor network areas on lower-end phones.
adds private chat
Tuesday 9 August 2016:
- The travel and dating website based in London and Moscow has hit the one million member mark and launched updated versions of its Android and iOS app. TourBar members can register as a local guide or as a solo traveller, or both. The new app includes a private member-to-member chat option and enhanced security features.
Hawai'i unleashes app
- The Hawai'i Tourism Authority has developed its first mobile application with information on the six major islands as well as tips for visitors. The app also includes locomojis (local emojis) for visitors to share on social media.
expands to Facebook
Friday 5 August 2016:
- London City Airport is now using BizTweet's technology to communicate with passengers via Facebook Messengers. The airport has been using BizTweet to keep passengers updated with flight status and other information for a number of years.
Eurowings upgrades IFE for BYOD
- The carrier's Wings Entertain system allows passengers to use their own mobile or tablet devices to stream movies and TV programmes (costing Euro 4 per flight). The entire Airbus fleet will be ready by 15 August this year. The system also includes destination content courtesy of a partnership with specialist ArrivalGuides.
deploys on Trasmediterranea
- The mobile connectivity service has installed web access points on three of the the European cruise and ferry operator's vessels as part of the deal. The company runs trips between Spain, northern Africa and the Balaeric islands.
gives wifi access to iPass
Tuesday 2 August 2016:
- iPass customers will get access to the airline's inflight wifi service as part of a deal between the pair. The system works in both terminal areas and on-board, and will be available throughout the United network by the fourth quarter of 2016.
CellPoint Mobile creates mobile PSP-as-a-service tool
- The technology allows travel brands to deploy mobile payment services, apps and alternative payment methods to existing financial platforms. Singapore-based CellPoint says the service is aimed at airlines and tour operators following an earlier deal with Emirates.
tries business travel social app
- The new app allows corporate travellers to locate other users and their occupations in similar locations and attempt to connect with them. The London Traveltechlab-hosted startup says the app also has a direct messaging feature, newsfeed with real-time information about specific services and business lounge-sharing tool.
image via Shutterstock.