This is a roundup of product news and announcements for travel DEVICES in tourism and hospitality for February 2015.
Tuesday 10 February 2015:
Bravofly Rumbo acquires Map2app
- European online travel company Bravo Rumbo Group has acquired San Francisco-based Map2app, enables users to create travel guides for the iPhone, Android, and HTML5-enabled devices. The terms were not disclosed. The startup had raised $100,000 from investors since its 2012 founding. It claims to have created more than 300 apps for clients.
Hopper changes name of last-minute flight app
Thursday 5 February 2015:
- Fare tracker app Hopper has changed the name of one of its products. The app formerly known as Flight Tonight is now called GTFO — or "get the flight out."
Liftshare opts for Android app
- UK-based rideshare company Liftshare has launched an app on Google Play. The service connects drivers and those looking to share a trip. Features on the app include reminders on the day of travel, cashless payment and the ability to leave reviews.
eases security pain
Wednesday 4 February
- Frankfurt Airport is letting passengers see expected waiting times at passport and security control via its smartphone application. The app sends the real-time information to devices to help travellers plan ahead with getting to and from the airport. The information, availalbe in English, German and Chinese, is also accessible via airport kiosks.
Etihad reports onboard mobile surge
- Etihad Airways says 2.6 million devices connected to its inflight mobile service last year. Inflight texts and phone calls increased by 62% and 61% respectively according to a statement. The carrier joins a handful of airlines in offering onboardconnectivity across its network next month.
unveils city guide app
- The Momondo Places app is highlighting what's around locally - hotels, shops, restaurants, bars - across 11 cities. The app is an iPhone version of the iPad service and enables users to find information on the go, even if they are offline.
NB: Travel devices image via Shutterstock.