Product news, releases, projects, related analysis and more from the global distribution systems during February 2013 - all here, in one easy read.
More recent updates first:
Thursday 28 February 2013:Wednesday 27 February 2013:Tuesday 26 February 2013:
Monday 25 February 2013:
- Travelport agrees long-term agreement with Consolid. The long-term partnership includes distribution services via the Worldspan platform as well as use of the Travelport Universal API. Consolid is a Latin America-based online consolidator working with more than 15,000 travel agencies in the region, including Peru, Brazil, Chile, Argentina, Mexico and the US.
- Abacus unveils FareX Automated Exchange system. The tool allows all Abacus-connected agents to access more than five million origin and destination net fares and use a streamlined process to switch non-published fares. The tool be first used by launch partner Singapore Airlines, with other carriers expected to follow in due course.
- Why travel agents should act more like bankers
- European rail should be a big opportunity – but what needs to happen?
Friday 22 February 2013:Thursday 21 February 2013:
- Travelport opens operations in Vladivostock. The decision to create an office in the Primorsky Krai region of Russia (close to the Chinese border) comes as the copmpany looks to strengthen its business in Russia as well the city's strong connections to opportunities in Kora, China and Japan. Travelport has its country headquarters in the Russian capital, Moscow, as well as a facility in St Petersburg.
- What Crossover Rewards means for the future of loyalty programs
Wednesday 20 February 2013:Tuesday 19 February 2013:
- ATPI Travel Group expands Travelport agreement. The corporate travel agency will use the Travelport GDS across its multiple regional locations, covering 60 countires around the world. ATPI runs business travel for a range of services including marine travel and corporate event management.
- Travelport signs distribution and technology deal with Martin Travel. The Virginia, US-based leisure and corporate travel service will include a range of Travelport services as part of its new and long-term agreement, such as the Smartpoint App, Cruise & Tour system, Custom Check and Rearden Personal Assistant tool, as well as the Travelport GDS.
Monday 18 February 2013:Thursday 14 February 2013:
- Sabre promotes Alex Alt to head Hospitality Solutions business. Alt replaces Felix Laboy who is leaving the company to "pursue personal interests". Prior to joining Sabre Hospitality in April 2012 as chief operating officer, Alt was SVP of global development and strategy at Rosewood Hotels & Resorts and a senior engagement manager at McKinsey. He also had a stint in Sabre's finance department in the late-1990s before leaving to obtain an MBA at Harvard Business School.
- Travelport adds Lowcostbeds to Rooms & More platform. The integration of LCB into the Rooms & More agent bed stock platform will add more than 90,000 properties into Travelport's datbase. The total number of properties on the system is now around 375,000 and close to one million hotel offers.
- IATA opts for Open AXIS as technical standard for NDC initiative
Wednesday 13 February 2013:
- TRX develops workflow management tool for Sabre. The service, known as QM XPRESS, will sit in the Sabre Red App Centre and give agents tools to retrieve tasks and process PNRs directly from their desktops. It is an extension of an existing platform called QUEUE MANAGER.
- Sabre unveils VoyenBus Red App. The service for customers South America allows agents to access real-time schedules, fares and seat information on buses across the region, including Argentina, Uruguay, Chile and Peru. The tool was created by online bus ticket platform, VoyenBus.
- Tnooz-Monetate Webinar VIDEO: Transforming the supplier-driven travel booking experience
Tuesday 12 February 2013:Monday 11 February 2013:Friday 8 February 2013:
- Sabre renews distribution agreement with Singapore Airlines. The agreement gives Sabre-connected agents around the world the ability to access all fares, schedules and inventory from the carrier. Sabre says the deal includes media marketing for the airline through promotions and campaigns via the GDS.
- Amadeus appoints new managing director in the Pacific region. The IT division will be headed by Tony Carter from 1 March this year, replacing Sari Vahakoski who is returning to Amadeus HQ in Europe. Carter, an Amadeus employee for 20 years, was most recently account director for one of its largest customers in the region, Flight Centre.
- Travelport inks technology deal with Aero Club in Russia. The travel management company will switch part of its business to the Travelport platform and integrate Galileo Web Services and the Universal API tools. Aero Club is the in-country representative for BCD Travel.
Thursday 7 February 2013:
- Amadeus woos SriLankan Airlines to ALTEA Suite. The carrier and its sister airline Mihin Lanka will migrate to the Amadeus-run platform for reservations, ticketing and departure control systems. It is the first time Amadeus has secured a hosting deal on the Indian subcontinent and comes as the airline joins the OneWorld global airline alliance. The first phase of the integration will be completed this year and departure control in the first half of 2014.
- Sabre introduces Clipboard Red App. The tool is available in the Sabre Red App Centre and allows agents using the so-called "classic" view in the Red Workspace to send air itinerary information such as flight times, airline, city codes and fares to customers. The app works on an agent's smartphone and allows content to be sent in both plain text and HTML.
- Dear travel businesses, get your differentiation spot-on first, then think about the technology
- Closing in on the perfect trip – soothing the nightmare or pipe dream
Wednesday 6 February 2013:
- Amadeus makes social media push in South Africa. The company has launched dedicated YouTube, blog and Facebook profiles for customers in the country in a bid to share its own news in different channels as well as tips for users of its own services.
Tuesday 5 February 2013:Monday 4 February 2013:
- Travelport discloses departure of board director. Richard Buccarelli, a managing director at JPMorgan Chase, resigned from the board at the end of the January after 15 months in the role. Travelport says there is no disagreement between Buccarelli and the organisation.
- Sabre unveils Automated Task Library. The tool is a set of post-booking applications to increase efficiency and reduce costs by automating travel agent processes, including schedule changes, queue management and re-distribution, and missed ticketing alerts.
- Abacus announces new marketing boss. Martin Symes will be the organisation's vice president of marketing after Brett Henry moved to become vice president of commercial. Prior to joining Abacus, Symes was CEO and chairman of metasearch engine Wego and had previously worked at Zuji and Priceline.
- Travelport appoints managing director for China. George Harb will take on the role with immediate effect and will see him charged with developing Travelport's business and strategy in the country. Harb has worked for Travelport for seven years including marketing and commercial director roles for Asia as well as, most recently, overseeing distribution relationships across the Asia-Pacific, including China's state-owned Travelsky organisation.
- Abacus signs distribution agreement with Firefly. The Malaysia Airlines-owned low cost carrier will push all fare and schedules through to Abacus-connected travel agents. The five-year old airline currently connects destinations in Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand and Singapore.
- Cabforce plugs gaps in door-to-door business travel via Amadeus tie-up
Friday 1 February 2013:Previous GDS updates:
- Sabre strikes partnership with Passkey. The reservation technology provider will allow group reservations to be delivered on its GroupMAX platform to a hotel's property management system via Sabre's SynXis tool. The integration was based on the OpenTravel Alliance XML standards and covers guest information, additional names and payment details for all guests on a booking.
- Travelport launches Net Fare Manager tool. The system allows agents to find up-to-date fare content using fewer key strokes via a web-based interface, including the ability to manage, mark-up and control onward distribution of filed private fares from carriers. Travelport claims the tool reduces the number of key strokes by up to 80%.
- Mobile trend toward lateness is a puzzle and opportunity for hotels and agencies
NB: World map technology
- Travel distribution news from Travelport, Amadeus, Sabre, Abacus - January 2013
- GDS news from Travelport, Amadeus, Sabre, Abacus - December 2012
- GDS news from Travelport, Amadeus, Sabre, Abacus - November 2012
- GDS news from Travelport, Amadeus, Sabre, Abacus - October 2012
- GDS news from Travelport, Amadeus, Sabre, Abacus - September 2012
- GDS news from Travelport, Amadeus, Sabre, Abacus - August 2012
- GDS news from Travelport, Amadeus, Sabre, Abacus - July 2012
- GDS news from Travelport, Amadeus, Sabre, Abacus - June 2012
- GDS news from Travelport, Amadeus, Sabre, Abacus - May 2012
- GDS news from Travelport, Amadeus, Sabre, Abacus - April 2012
- GDS news from Travelport, Amadeus, Sabre, Abacus - March 2012
- GDS news from Travelport, Amadeus, Sabre, Abacus - February 2012
- GDS news from Travelport, Amadeus, Sabre, Abacus - January 2012
- GDS news from Travelport, Amadeus, Sabre, Abacus - December 2011
- GDS news from Travelport, Amadeus, Sabre, Abacus - November 2011
- GDS news from Travelport, Amadeus, Sabre, Abacus - October 2011
- GDS news from Travelport, Amadeus, Sabre, Abacus - September 2011
- GDS news: Travelport, Amadeus, Sabre, Abacus - August 2011
- GDS news: Travelport, Amadeus, Sabre, Abacus - July 2011
- Travelport, Amadeus, Sabre, Abacus briefs - June 2011
- Travelport, Amadeus, Sabre, Abacus briefs - May 2011
- Travelport, Amadeus, Sabre, Abacus briefs - April 2011
- Travelport, Amadeus, Sabre, Abacus briefs - March 2011
- Travelport, Amadeus, Sabre, Abacus briefs - February 2011
- Travelport, Amadeus, Sabre, Abacus briefs - January 2011
- Travelport, Amadeus, Sabre, Abacus briefs - December 2010
- GDS Bitesize - January 2010 to November 2010
image via Shutterstock.