This is a roundup of product news and announcements for travel DEVICES in tourism and hospitality for May 2016.
Friday 27 May 2016:
TripAdvisor app gets Google Play Music
Wednesday 25 May 2016
- Users of the TripAdvisor Android app will be able to stream collections of music designed specifically for destinations around the world. Examples include techno for Berlin, funk in Sao Paulo or Latin house in Miami. Collections come from more than 60 countries.
The Boston Consulting Group (BCG) and Amadeus have launched a new itinerary management app for the consulting firm’s workforce
Friday 20 May 2016
- The travel tech company custom built the iOS app based on the Amadeus Mobile Platform for the consulting firm's workforce. MyBCGTrip provides access to trip details, check-in, calendar synchronisation, flight notifications, and instant alternatives in case of a last-minute change in plans.
Hopper was the only travel app to be included in Google Play's picks for the best Android apps of the year
Friday 13 May 2016:
- The first-ever Google Play Awards picked Hopper as Standout Startup of the Year. Earlier this week, the airfare prediction app also won the official pick choice in the Webby Awards in the travel app category. According to App Annie, it is ranked the number-one travel app in downloads in more 37 countries -- measured across iOS & Google Play. It is #3 in the US.
Jovago's app debuts in the Apple App store
- The Africa-based online hotel booking service already launched its Android app six months ago. Both apps list 25,000 hotels in Africa and more than 200,000 elsewhere. Three months ago Jovago's parent picked up Euro 75 million in funding.
- The Cook-operated hotel brand will give future guests the chance to pick up additional content from posters and brochures. After identifying the relevant content in hard copy, the iOS and Android app will play videos and other material to showcase the specific product.
steps into Sneakairs
- Not an April Fool prank, yet EasyJet has developed a pair of training shoes which can "guide" a visitor around a destination. A pair of Sneakairs will connect to an app which uses GPS in the phone to direct the wearer by vibrating each shoe for the direction.
gives members a sneak peek
Wednesday 3 May 2016:
- HHonors guests can now access a Google Streetview-hosted platform within the Hilton app so that they can visualise the location of their room in a property.
OpenKey launches version three
- The mobile hotel door access provider is releasing v.3 of its platform this week, with a number of new features including location tracking, estimated time of arrival notifications, ID scan, hotel amenity search and booking.
has expanded Flapp
, its flight-booking mobile app.
NB2: Mobile travel
- After launching nearly a year ago for a singe-route, Flapp now covers all markets Travelstart covers in Africa, the Middle East and beyond. It claims 50,000 downloads across iOS and Android devices, thus far.
image via Shutterstock.