This is a roundup of product news and announcements for travel DEVICES in tourism and hospitality for January 2014.
30 January 2014:Alipay
e-wallet launches taxi booking
24 January 2014:TourRadar
- Alibaba's payment service Alipay e-wallet mobile app has added the feature to book Kuaidi Dache taxis right from the app. Alibaba recently invested a total of $100 million (along with other investors) in Hangzhou-based taxi hailing service Kuaidi Dache. This move from Alibaba comes after the Tencent added the functionality to book Didi Dache taxis from its online messaging app WeChat.
launches Android app
20 January 2014:
- TourRadar has launched its native (free) app for Android platform. The company launched its iOS version in October 2013, the company claims the iOS app is used by over 25,000 travellers from over 100 countries.
Revenue Management Solution (RMS) goes mobile
- IDeaS has made its RMS product available for iOS and Android platform. Now, users will be able to view, update and deploy hotel pricing information from mobile or tablet. Also, users can view monthly, weekly or daily snapshots of KPIs including Occupancy, Average Daily Rate (ADR), Revenue Per Available Room (RevPAR) and more.
launches iPad app
16 January 2014:Sabre
- Momondo has launched a new (free) iPad app Momondo Places, a city guide app with offline working maps. The app lets users create in-depth and personalised travel guides according to users mood and interests. The app also includes seven of the world’s top city break destinations - Barcelona, Berlin,Copenhagen, London, New York, Paris, and Rome, with more to follow.
reveal geo-aware mobile development project
- The pair say they will jointly explore building technology to bring in "more personalized, stress-free trip experiences for travellers". Texas-based Sabre says the partnership will examine how location-based information services can enhance how airlines, airports and other travel companies can communicate with consumers. The first part of the project is expected to be completed by the summer of 2014.
creates mobile app for business expenses on-the-go
- WebPay Mobile is Conferma's debut mobile application and will allow users of iOS and Windows devices to create virtual credit numbers for payments when settling hotels invoices, flights, car rental and rail tickets.
enters mobile web world
15 January 2014:Korea Tourism Organization
- The large online travel agency has launched a mobile-optimised version of its website, including specific search and booking tools for users. The switch comes has the OTA says it has seen a 130% increase in mobile visits year-on-year, with conversions via mobiles over the same period jumping by 50%.
(KTO) set to release integrated Smart Tour Guide app
Thai Airways International
- KTO along with Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism is set to release an integrated version of the Smart Tour Guide mobile app that provides audio guides for Korea’s tourist attraction. The app can be used anywhere, anytime without 3G/LTE connection. The app provides GPS and map services and supports four languages: Korean, English, Japanese and Chinese.
(THAI) receives WiFi license
launches WiFi router rental service in Singapore
- Yourwifi, a Singapore-based company will be launching WiFi routers on rent for Singaporeans travelling abroad. This service will be available for rates starting from $7.07/day flat-rate for up to five devices.
13 January 2014:Momondo
- China-based taxi booking app Kuaidi Dache has partnered with Chinese online classifieds service 58.com that will enable 58.com's mobile app users to access Kuaidi Dache's taxi booking service. Kuaidi recently secured $100 million funding.
unveils city guides iPad app
- The European metasearch engine's tablet service features guides to seven (with more to come) destinations around the world which show different types of activities and places to visit based on a user's preferences. Momondo Places also features offline maps to cater for six "moods" - romantic, social, family, local, cultural and fancy. The seven launch cities are Barcelona, Berlin, Copenhagen, London, New York, Paris and Rome.
builds guide app with latest Apple OS in mind
10 January 2014:StudentUniverse
- The Afar Travel Guide features existing Afar editorial content across some 7,000 cities around the world, including 45,000 experiences. Maps, tips and sharing tools are also included in the new app for iOS7-led devices.
rolls out new Android and Apple apps
- The apps allow direct booking of flights, accommodation search, save and change itineraries, 24-hour help services and language and cultural information (via TripLingo).
updates business traveller mobile service
- Blackberry, Android and Apple devices will be able to take the updated On The Go-titled application, featuring trip management,m integration with personal calendars, travel alerts and real-time updates from flights.
partners with Egencia
7 January 2014:TripIt
- The Expedia-owned travel management company will use Apptricity to give customers the chance to manage expenses and travel bookings via their mobile devices. The system works on Apple, Windows or Android platforms on both mobile or tablet devices.
allows to share specific trip details
- Users of TripIt will now be able to share specific trip details (such as a flight, hotel, restaurant reservation, meeting or other activity) and flight status alerts on the go, with family, friends and colleagues.
- Tencent has added Didi Dache taxi booking service to its iOS version of WeChat mobile app. WeChat users can now access Didi Dache services within WeChat without downloading the Didi Dache mobile app. WeChat Pay has also been added to the Didi Dache app. Recently, Didi raised $100 million in Series C.
adds hotel and train bookings to iOS app
- Users can now book trains (for over 4,000 stations in India) and book over 300,000 hotels across the world in Cleartrip's iOS app.
launches wireless inflight entertainment trial
- SilkAir has launched (in partnership with Panasonic Avionics Corporation) a wireless inflight entertainment system on trial basis in one of its Airbus A320 aircraft. Customers can stream movies, TV programmes and music directly onto their personal devices while onboard their flight.
launches iOS app
- Jet Airways has launched a free native app for the iOS platform devices - iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. Users will be able to book tickets, check flight status, manage their JetPrivilege account and enjoy special promotional offers, among a host of other features.
Pay for cab rides using Alibaba's Alipay
Mobile Wallet app
- Kuaidi Dache's 20,000 taxi drivers in Beijing will now be able to take payment from Alipay. Users can swipe taxi drivers’ QR codes and then input fares so that the fare can be deducted from Alipay accounts or paying by Alipay through the Kuaidi Dache app. Recently, Alibaba Group invested in Kuaidi Dache.
Send links or releases for travel devices direct to Tnooz via email
NB2: Travel devices
image via Shutterstock.