Facebook has featured TripAdvisor in their latest case study, which demonstrates how a well-integrated OpenGraph application can deliver solid social results: in this case, a 27% increase in engagement for Facebook users on TripAdvisor itself.
TripAdvisor has integrated all its products with Facebook Login, the first step to being able to connect with each user's full social graph. By allowing Facebook users to fuse their accounts, TripAdvisor gains access to said user's friends, interest and related data available via OpenGraph.
TripAdvisor connects this OpenGraph data into its canvas app, which encourages travelers to identify cities they've visited and want to go to.
TripAdvisor can then provide a much richer dataset to the user, as the user can see what cities friends have visited, what places they have stayed in, and what reviews they have left.
Friends’ ratings, check-ins, and likes are also easily available for comparison. Friends can compare their results with each other, delivering a more useful experience all around.
Within the app, users can create travel maps, rate attractions, earn badges and compare/compete with friends. Each of these actions produces a related piece of content on Facebook, which can boost the app's viral exposure.
Of course, each of these actions also creates a seamless and highly compelling way to boost viral exposure via paid advertising - a rich set of actions to spend against in order to deliver the desired result.
Here's a breakdown of the stats seen by the TripAdvisor integration of OpenGraph via Facebook login:
- 1 in 3 new reviews come from a user logged in via Facebook login.
- 27% increase in engagement for those users linked via Facebook login - likely due to interaction with friends.
- Facebook users contribute 2x more content than non-Facebook connected users.
- TripAdvisor users have published over 1 billion OpenGraph stories.
By layering the social aspect on top of the already-existing user information, the product becomes more useful across the board:
- Users get more detailed information from what TripAdvisor calls "the wisdom of friends" that helps users plan, enjoy and share better trips.
- TripAdvisor can mine relationships for data that increases the stickiness of their product, and receive more reviews and interactions as friends connect via the app.
- Facebook gets access to that much more information to seed elsewhere in the OpenGraph ecosystem.