Hoteliers should factor budget for metasearch-related marketing activities as 2014 is the year of metasearch, according to eRevMax
The hospitality technology solution provider has compiled an infographic that highlights the growth of metasearch services in recent past, and it explains why hoteliers should adopt this channel to increase their direct booking numbers.
Key takeaways from the infographic are presented below:
- In 2012, 36% online travellers used comparison shopping before booking
- As of December 2012, 6% of traffic to online travel agent websites in the US comes from metasearch sites like Kayak. Data source: PhoCusWright and Experian Hitwise.
- In 2013, Kayak processed a whopping 1.5 billion search queries, and this number is estimated to reach 3.5 billion by 2019.
- Trefis estimates that hotel referrals contribute over 21% of Kayak’s revenue, and it estimates the hotel revenue to reach over 600 million by 2019.
- TripAdvisor, the site that attracts 260 million visits per month, recently launched a metasearch service that's been used by 50% of the users (as of Q4 2013)
Below is the entire infographic (click on it for a higher resolution):
NB:Graph image via Shutterstock.