Expedia Media Solutions has gone to the pigs: the swimming pigs, that is.
The media solutions arm used a primed-for-viral clip of pigs swimming in the blue-hued waters of the Bahamian paradise island Exumas.
Here's the short video in question that was the backbone for the Facebook campaign:
The simple commercial was launched late last year as part of Expedia UK's Travel Yourself Interesting campaign, and then boosted with some online media.
Interest was stirred by a Facebook newsfeed competition that asked potential visitors to share thoughts on the specific noise a pig makes underwater - with a trip for two to those very islands hanging in the balance.
Some of the entrants included hand-drawn images of the swimming pigs, adding an additional layer of engagement to the campaign.
The campaign lasted two weeks at the end of February of this year with the following results, according to Expedia Media Solutions:
- an increase of 664% in stand-alone Bahamas hotel bookings
- a boost of 294% in Expedia UK package bookings
- engagement levels rise by approximately 12% for the UK Facebook page and 13% in Germany
- 5,800 people entered the competition which resulted in 18,587 likes, comments and shares across both pages
- the UK page also saw an increase of 1,914 fans in just ten days