Product news, releases, projects and more from the global distribution systems during April 2012 - all here, in one easy read.
More recent updates first:
Friday 27 April 2012:Wednesday 25 April 2012:
Monday 23 April 2012:Thursday 19 April 2012:
- STA Travel and Amadeus sign new content agreement. The deal sees agents in 29 markets in which STA operates use the Amadeus GDS to access travel content as well as continue to run a number of back-office tools such as the e-Travel Management online booking tool and a e-ticketing system which was created specially for STA.
- Amadeus and SNCF agree terms for an extension of their distribution agreement. Alongside the distribution contract, which will run until the end of 2012, the pair have unveiled plans to debut a new third party tool known as Amadeus Agent Track, a new rail booking service for travel agents. The system allows agents to access the rail operator's schedules and inventory as well as integration into agent back-office systems.
- What happened to American Airlines-Expedia direct-connect pact 1 year later?
- Gadgets gone mad – the bedtime story
Monday 16 April 2012:Thursday 12 April 2012:
- EasyJet extends and expands distribution package with Travelport. The deal will give any Galileo-connected agency or user of Travelport Universal API access to EasyJet booking services, expanding the existing focus on business travellers to leisure customers. Agents will also be able to tap into EasyJet's suite of ancillary services as part of the agreement.
- Expedia and Amadeus signed a new content and technology agreement. The multi-year deal, which expands on a relationship dating to 2005, sees Expedia using Amadeus fare-search tech and global supplier content in North America as part of its wider distribution strategy to obtain air fares and other products, including some global supplier content, from multiple GDSs. Sabre remains Expedia's primary GDS in the region.
- Travelport unveils Child Albany Travel as a tester for its Universal Desktop platform. The selection comes as part of a renewal of the agency's technology and distribution agreement with Travelport, covering access to air, hotel, car rental and cruise product via the Apollo platform.
- Amadeus signs content deal with Inntopia. The partnership sees the reservation platform for snowsports selected to power the ski channel on Amadeus Vacation Link, a platform for Amadeus-connected agents in North America. Agents will have access to ski packages and accommodation rentals as well as summer services and products provided in the same destinations.
- Sabre will provide distribution services to Dahlan Tours and Travel. The Jordan-based agency will use the Sabre GDS for air, hotel, rail, cruise and car rental bookings, as well using Sabre technology to power the brand's new TravelSheikh website.
- Travelport joint venture eNett signs virtual card service with EasyJet. The agreement sees travel management companies, agents and corporates in Europe given the ability to use the eNett Virtual Account Numbers system to make payments to EasyJet for bookings and services. Agents secure an incentive of 0.4% per booking for using the eNett system.
- The future of search marketing for the travel industry
- Women and travel technology – an Asian perspective
Tuesday 10 April 2012:Thursday 5 April 2012:Tuesday 3 April 2012:
- Alamdar Travel and Tours picked by Travelport as handler of Galileo GDS in the Democratic Republic of Congo. It is the first time Travelport has used a GDS distribution in the DRC and follows recent efforts to increase the company's presence in emerging countries throughout Africa. The total number of states within the African network to 47, jumping from 30 in early-2011.
- Kanoo Travel signs distribution agreement with Sabre Travel Network in the Middle East. The multi-year agreement sees Sabre picked as the Bahrain-based agency's primary GDS. Kanoo will also use the Sabre Red Workspace platform in its branches throughout the region.
- Travelport says it has attracted 50 new agency customers to its Rooms & More accommodation service in 2012 in the UK. It claims bookings in the UK have increased on average by 17% each week in the first three months of this year.
- TnoozLIVE – next episode: travel tech news and a Big Data special
Monday 2 April 2012:Previous GDS updates:
- Poacher turned Gatekeeper (or the other way round) in the world of airline distribution as Theo Panagiotoulias leaves American Airlines for Sabre to become its new vice president and general manager for the Asia-Pacific region. Panagiotoulias was previously vice president and managing director for AA in Asia-Pacific, based in Japan. He will now run operations for Sabre from Singapore.
- Travelport is celebrating today after reaching what it claims is a "merchandising milestone". The Alpha version of a new platform has allowed a travel agent in the Netherlands to upgrade an economy class seat on KLM using the new industry standard Electronic Miscellaneous Document through the GDS, rather than manually via the carrier's website.
- Carry-on bag fees: Allegiant Air readies its innovative approach to travel
- What happens in a minute on the web? [INFOGRAPHIC]
- GDS news from Travelport, Amadeus, Sabre, Abacus - March 2012
- GDS news from Travelport, Amadeus, Sabre, Abacus - February 2012
- GDS news from Travelport, Amadeus, Sabre, Abacus - January 2012
- GDS news from Travelport, Amadeus, Sabre, Abacus - December 2011
- GDS news from Travelport, Amadeus, Sabre, Abacus - November 2011
- GDS news from Travelport, Amadeus, Sabre, Abacus - October 2011
- GDS news from Travelport, Amadeus, Sabre, Abacus - September 2011
- GDS news: Travelport, Amadeus, Sabre, Abacus - August 2011
- GDS news: Travelport, Amadeus, Sabre, Abacus - July 2011
- Travelport, Amadeus, Sabre, Abacus briefs - June 2011
- Travelport, Amadeus, Sabre, Abacus briefs - May 2011
- Travelport, Amadeus, Sabre, Abacus briefs - April 2011
- Travelport, Amadeus, Sabre, Abacus briefs - March 2011
- Travelport, Amadeus, Sabre, Abacus briefs - February 2011
- Travelport, Amadeus, Sabre, Abacus briefs - January 2011
- Travelport, Amadeus, Sabre, Abacus briefs - December 2010
- GDS Bitesize - January 2010 to November 2010