What else is going on in the world of travel tech? A round-up of other stories from across the industry...
- Booking car shares (including online payments) is one of the new features released in a new iPhone application for Carpooling this week. The app gives access to around 650,000 car share pools in network and also facilities to pay with web service PayPal. User ratings and reviews are also included in the app.
- Choice Hotels International is mirroring existing iPhone and Android applications with an iPad app. The service enables users to search and book for rooms using GPS, view hotel facilities, cancel a booking and access customer service details. Choice saw a 250% increase year-on-year in mobile revenue in 2011.
- Social network WAYN (Where Are You Now?) has taken mobile development in house and unveiled "Meet People" applications for iPhone and Android devices. The company, which previously used Rummble for its app, is also working on additional social travel apps.
- Russia-based metasearch specialist Aviasales has unveiled applications for iPhone and iPad. According to the company the app took the number one spot for travel apps in Russia after two days and is currently number ten in the free apps category.
- Design by competition is the order of the day for UK car hire comparison site Carrentals. The company gave users the choice of a number of designs for a new website and asked them to vote for their favourite. The winning design is being launched this week, with new features such as improved filtering and navigation of results as well as technical improvements to make the site faster to use.