This is a roundup of product news and announcements for travel DEVICES in tourism and hospitality for January 2016.
Friday January 29:
TripAdvisor launches cross device Windows 10 app
Saturday 23 January 2o16:
- The reviews giant has unveiled the app which will be pre-loaded on Windows 10 compatible devices this year. The app, available in 47 markets, for desktop, tablet and mobile will include TripAdvisor's bookings tools including instant booking.
Hostelworld launches Apple TV app
Monday 18th January 2016:
- The budget accommodation service has integrated content and other information into the new TV app. Around 33,000 properties are included on the platform, each with details on the facilities on offer and some with video content.
Airbnb owner app launched by Personal
Friday 15 January 2016:
- Personal Cloud for Airbnb hosts allows property owners to keep and manage guest details and itineraries on a mobile device. The service also reaches the guest, providing them with information about an upcoming stay at the host's property.
TripIt makes friends with LoungeBuddy
- Itinerary management service TripIt has partnered with LoungeBuddy enabling users of the Concur service to book a pass at more than 100 airport lounges across the globe from the app.
unleashes app for seat swapping
- Seateroo, an online platform enabling passengers to pay to get a different seat from a fellow passenger, has launched its app in the Apple Store. The app uses an electronic payment system for the transaction.
TierItUp unveils Tripsee
Wednesday 13 January 2016:
- Mobile app specialist TierItUp has launched a trip planning app called TripSee which aims to predict what sort of destinations and points of interest leisure travellers will be interested in. Users enter their destination and our presented with results which they can add to a trip itinerary and/or view on a map.
Ryanair upgrades mobile apps
- The latest edition of the low cost carrier's mobile app includes new search functionality and design, reconfigured payment process, boarding pass downloads and additional customer information areas. The app is available for both Android and Apple devices.
airport app comes to Android
Friday 8 January 2016:
- The app, which gives passengers access to official free wifi at 350 airports, includes arrival, departure and gate information, offers for retail outlets, and general information about 900 airports worldwide. The company plans to introduce premium lounge access, ground transportation booking and increase its airport coverage in the months ahead.
Flynas launches app for Android and Apple handsets
- Available in both Arabic and English, Flynas's app allow passengers on the Saudi Arabia-based low cost carrier to manage bookings, as well as add extra services such as meals and baggage.
upgrades website for mobile
Thursday 7 January 2016:
- The luxury hotel chain says it has created a three-step booking flow for its mobile website, mirroring its existing desktop service. The company claims to have already reduced bounce rates on mobile devices since the launch down to 37$, with booking revenue has increased by 280% y/y.
GeoSure Global updates app
- Travel risk assessment tool Geo Sure Global has updated its Android and iOS apps. The tool combines public information and its own community of user to create risk assessments for some 4000 cities and neighbourhoods worldwide.
crowd-sources new routes
NB: Travel devices image
- India's leading transportation app Ola has called on its users to suggest routes for its Shuttle service. The minibus service operates only in Delhi NCR and the idea is to identify parts of the city where there is unmet demand for Shuttle. Rides are booked via the Ola app and can be paid for using the Ola Money digital wallet.