The latest devices news, launches and more from around the travel, tourism and hospitality industry in May 2013.
Thursday 30 May 2013:
Tuesday 28 May 2013:
- Alaska Airlines has released an updated iOS and Android app that takes advantage of Urban Airship to provide Passbook integration, push notifications and a more real-time messaging focus for travelers.
Monday 27 May 2013:
- Travelocity's latest iPhone app update includes a credit card scan feature that auto-populates payment information. The feature was added after positive consumer response to the company's Hotel Deals by Lastminute.com app, and has been updated to also scan the card's expiration date.
Monday 20 May 2013:
- WhichAirline unleashes visual flight search apps for iOS and Android. The apps allow users to compare airline tickets from low cost and legacy carriers, as well as online travel agencies. WhichAirline has created the apps for 22 different languages and also included the ability to search based on cost and duration.
Friday 17 May 2013:
- Malaysia Tourism has launched "Malaysia Trip Planner" native apps for both iOS and Android platform devices, both can be downloaded for free.
Thursday 16 May 2013:
- Travelport and TTS push out new agent mobile app. The latest version of Mobile Agent will be available to all Travelport GDS users (Galileo, Apollo and Worldspan) and across Apple and Android devices.
Wednesday 15 May 2013:
- TripIt unleashes Seat Tracker service. Initially for its desktop service but coming soon for its mobile app services, Seat Tracker allows users to select specific seats, find seats with companions or in groups as large as four, or choose economy, premium economy, business or first class services. To use the new service, users must be members of the TripIt Pro product.
Tuesday 14 May 2013:
- Patient Whiz gives travellers medical records on the road. The iPhone and iPad apps allow travellers to upload their medical conditions and requirements, including test results, EKGs, allergies and contact information. If a user falls ill on a trip they can provide medical staff with an immediate summary of any important information to help with their condition.
Friday 10 May 2013:
- Momondo puts app in play for Blackberry users. The move follows the launch of its flight app for iPhone and Android devices in 2011 and includes the ability to search for low cost and legacy carrier services, as well as filter by price, departure time and duration, email tools and a save function.
Wednesday 8 May 2013:
- Flayvr launches app on Android platforms. The mobile photo and video management tool for travellers allows users to collect and organise media and share across social networks, as well as place into customisable albums on a device. The service was originally launched first for Apple devices.
Tuesday 7 May 2013:
- Korea Tourism Organization (KTO) launches the Seoul Walking Tour Mobile App. The service acts as a tour guide for sixteen famous tourist destinations located in downtown Seoul.
Monday 6 May 2013:
- TripAdvisor redesigns its suite of mobile services. The Android and Apple apps will have a new user interface including larger images and the ability for users to add a hotel, restaurant or attraction not currently listed on TripAdvisor.
- BTSocial releases service for corporate travellers. The mobile web-based product allows business travellers to locate colleagues in a destination as well as "check in" at a location to see if other users are in the area.