The latest marketing news, launches and more from around the travel, tourism and hospitality industry in August 2013.
Friday 30 August 2013:
Thursday 29 August 2013:
- GetYourGuide and InterHome seal tours and activities partnership. The vacation rental service will feature around 9,000 products from the things-to-do agency, although bookings will still be made on the GYG website. InterHome has secured exclusive rates on some products for customers.
- In an effort to reassure the travel industry, Egypt's tourism minister Hisham Zaazou has taken to YouTube. In the message, the minister says the Red Sea area is safe and governments should consider lifting "negative" travel advisories. Here's the clip:
Tuesday 27 August 2013:
Monday 26 August 2013:
- Marriott's recent campaign to rebrand and crowdsource ideas, Travel Brilliantly, has been launched in Asia. In the first phase of this campaign in Asia, a 30-second video advertisement will be run online in prominent news and lifestyle outlets in China, India and Australia, such as Youku, PPTV, YouTube, Fairfax Media, BBC India and CNBC India from the end of August. In the second phase of the campaign, Marriott will tie up with TripAdvisor/Daodao to drive engagement and participation.
Wednesday 21 August 2013:
- Booking.com partners with Universal Orlando Resort Hotels. It will be the first time the properties have been made available to visitors of the Priceline-owned accommodation brand, including on both the OTA's mobile app and Booking.com Tonight service.
Saturday 17 August 2013:
- TripAdvisor has launched a new portal by name 'TripAdvisor Insights' that has online marketing resources for travel industry professionals. The free-to-read portal has tips, latest trends, industry research and statistics, and other information about TripAdvisor for business owners.
Wednesday 14 August 2013:
- iloho, a social travel portal has revamped its entire website and iOS app. In the new site, users will be able to browse events and places around the world. The company has also integrated the portal with Mystifly's flight inventory system enabling users to book flights. iloho has also announced a 110% refund of difference in fare if a user finds a cheapest fare across any seating class.
Monday 12 August 2013:
- India-based Cruise Club has launched a brand new website for polar expedition cruises and experiences. Cruise Club is also the partner-wing for leading polar expedition cruise companies. The company says Artic and Antartic are top destinations on their clients bucket list.
Thursday 8 August 2013:
- Tourism Australia has launched a new website dedicated for the Chinese travellers - Australia.cn. China is the fastest growing inbound tourism market for Australia. The new portal is customised entirely for Chinese travellers - tailored content, integration with Chinese social networks like Sina Weibo, QQ Weibo and Kaixin for Chinese tourists to share their trip content with family and friends. Recently, Australia-based tour and activity provider ExperienceOz launched a new Chinese portal.
- Secret Escapes, a flash deal site focused on hotels and holidays has partnered with London-based Time Out, a local information portal. Secret Escapes will offer a whitelabel solution of its service in Time Out Escapes.
- Bangalore-based tours and activity provider Thrillophilia has entirely redesigned its website. The site now displays big size pictures on the homepage to inspire travellers, and also reorganised all of their content.
Wednesday 7 August 2013:
- Now, users will be able to book Frontier Airlines' Economy fares in Priceline.com. Users using Priceline's Name Your Price airline ticket service will be offered a free carry-on bag if they get a Frontier itinerary.
Tuesday 6 August 2013:
- Social travel portal TouristLink has redesigned its homepage.
Monday 5 August 2013:
- British Airways extends the 'Visit Mum' video with a limited, two-day fare sale. Roundtrips from New York to Mumbai in Economy are on sale for $1,099, inclusive of all taxes, fees and other charges, until 11:59pm EST on Wednesday August 7th.
Previous roundups:NB: Marketing
- Qatar Airways recently launched a Facebook contest to promote its sponsorship of the FC Barcelona Asia Tour happening in Thailand and Malaysia this month. This marketing contest gained the airline hundreds of thousands of new fans and propelled Qatar Airways to become the fastest growing airline on social media according to analytics platform, Social Bakers.
image via Shutterstock.